- The Shiva Temple
The Shiva Temple
Puthia, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
The Shiva Temple is the largest temple in Bangladesh. Built-in 1823 by Rani Bhubonmoyee Devi, the widow of Raja Jagat Narayan Roy. This ornate temple is an imposing and excellent The five spire style (Pancha Ratna) architecture temple. The corridors have a touch of Jaipuri architecture and in the sanctuary, lies a very large black basalt Shiva Linga, the largest in the country. It is decorated stone carvings and sculptural works, which were disfigured during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971. The temple is now a protected monument.
The Puthia Raj family was established by a holy man named Bhatsacharya, who lived in the 16th century. Raja Man Singh, governor of the Mughal emperor Akbar, confiscated the Jagir of the refractory pathan jagirdar of Rajshahi named Lashker Khan and bestowed the Zamindary on the saintly Bhatsacharya for his learning, but he declined. However, his son Pitambar was granted the Lashkarpur estate permanently. On his death, his son Nilambar received the title of Raja from Emperor Jahangir. The Puthia Royal Family estate was the second largest zamindary and the wealthiest in British Bengal. After India's partition, the then Pakistani government abolished the zamindary system and confiscated all Hindu properties. The Royal Family migrated to India shortly afterward.
How To Go
By using road/train/air from any places to Rajshahi then By local transport to Destination. The facility is located in Puthia Upazila of Rajshahi district, about 15 km from Rajshahi city. Buses and autorickshaws can be added from Rajshahi city.
Other Destinations in Rajshahi